What's the difference between CityRace and Race/LA?
We hold two different types of events:
Race/LA, held once or twice yearly, is a day-long, citywide event for teams of two, based loosely on The Amazing Race.
CityRace Urban Adventure Hunts are 3-hour, neighborhood specific clue-solving hunts for teams of 2, 3 or 4 and are held throughout the year.
CityRace clues focus on using brainpower, research and puzzle-solving skills whereas the clues in Race/LA often involve more navigation around the city and physical activities.
For more information about Race/LA, go here.
How far in advance can I register?
Registration usually begins up to 3 months before each event.
Do you accept walk-ins on the day of the hunt?
No, advance registration is required for all events.
Can I change my date after I've registered?
If space is available, we can move you to another CityRace provided you notify us at least 48 hours in advance of your original event date & time. Sorry, but there are no exceptions to this rule and in all cases, no refunds.
Do you hold races in other cities?
In addition to our LA area events, we have events throughout southern California - from Laguna to Santa Barbara to Riverside.
How familiar with the area do I need to be?
If you're playing to win, being somewhat familiar with the area of your hunt will be helpful. If you're playing just to have fun, you don't need to be familiar with the area at all.
How long is a CityRace?
Three hours, plus about 20 minutes at the end when the scores and winners are announced.
If I do the same race again, will the clues be different?
No, the clues for each CityRace do not change. So if you've already done the Hollywood race, sign up for a different race next time - otherwise you'll be answering the same questions again!
Can children participate?
Yes, but these hunts are designed primarily for adults, so some children might find the clues to be too difficult, or lack the patience and stamina for a 3-hour hunt. Generally recommended for ages 14 and above...but you know your kids better than we do! These hunts are designed for adults and are generally not appropriate for children under the age of 12.
Is running required?
Not at all, but it is an option.
Can I bring others with me if they won't be participating?
No. Every person must have a ticket.
Can I change my team partners after I've registered?
Yes. (but you can not have more than 4 people on a team).
Can you create private races and special events?
Yes. More information is available here.
Do the winners get prizes?
Yes. The winning team receives a selection of small prizes, however, the focus of our events is on creating fun and unforgettable experiences, and not on awarding big prizes.
• No special skills or abilities are required for CityRace Urban Adventure Hunts. You definitely don't need to be an athlete but you should be able to think and act quickly, and work well together as a team. Running is completely optional (but might occasionally be advantageous).
• Teams must be 2, 3 or 4 players. If you don't have people to form a team, you can still register as an individual player. We can attempt to add you to an existing team, or you can participate solo if you prefer.
• Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes before your hunt starting time. After some brief announcements and answers to questions, you'll receive your clue package and your three hour countdown will begin. We will be at the starting location only for about 20 minutes, so if your team arrives late, you might not be able to participate.
• CityRace hunts will be held rain or shine.
• Payment in full is required at the time of registration. Players can sometimes expect to spend an additional small amount during the hunt (less than $10 per team - and often much less) on things like scavenger hunt objects that must be collected in a few of the hunts.
• Registration fees are non-refundable. However, if one of your team members needs to cancel after you've registered, you may replace them with another player.
• If you need to change your CityRace date after you've registered, we can move you to a different day (if space is available), provided you notify us at least 48 hours in advance of your original date & time. Date changes will be allowed one time only. Sorry, but there are no exceptions to this rule and in all cases, no refunds.
• Most CityRace hunts are done entirely on foot. If other modes of transportation are allowed in your hunt, they will be specified in the hunt description.
• You're free to bring any materials with you that you think might be helpful. At the very least, you will need a pen.
• Team members must travel together at all times and may not split up or separate at any time during a CityRace hunt. Only the people registered for your team are allowed at the starting location.
• Complete your clues in any order you like. Your team will receive all your clues at the start of the hunt. Remember that your clues will require brainpower, teamwork and strategy to solve: you might need to crack codes, solve challenging word or number puzzles, navigate with maps, research little-known facts, and more.
• You receive points for each correct answer, as well as any bonus points you've earned. Your clues will lead you to various locations around a neighborhood of the city. Once there, you'll usually need to answer a question about each location, proving that you've found it. Most hunts also include a list of bonus point items that may include: photos you must take of your team at various locations, objects that you collect during the hunt, mini-hunts or quests that send you on specific missions, and more.
• The team that finishes the hunt with the highest number of points is the winner. If two teams have the same score, the team that arrived earlier at the finish line is the winner. Teams arriving at the finish line later than the designated three-hour time limit will receive a penalty of minus 5 points for each five minutes they are late.
• Answers to all clues will be provided at the finish of the hunt.
• The winning team will receive a selection of prizes. However, like Race/LA, our focus is on providing a fun and unforgettable experience, not on giving away large prizes.